Pages

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Dani Amore interview: Death By Sarcasm

Death By Sarcasm by Dani Amore
£2.13/$2.99
Amazon UK, Amazon US, Nook


Dani Amore is a crime novelist living in Los Angeles, California.  DEATH BY SARCASM is her first novel.  You can learn more about her dark, mysterious and sarcastic ways over at www.deadlysarcasm.com

Can you sum up your book in no more than 25 words?

Los Angeles private investigator Mary Cooper unleashes her detective skills, and her highly sarcastic wit, to solve the murder of her uncle, a former comedian.

What was your motivation for writing it?

The book was really a way to justify the vast amount of time and effort I’ve spent over the years being an unrepentant smart ass. 

How long did it take you to write?

During my interview with Barbara Walters, I told her I had been writing this book my entire life.  She seemed to like that answer so I’m going to stick with it here.  Although, to be honest, she was already halfway through a bottle of Scotch.  And it was a breakfast interview.

How much difference does an editor make?

An editor makes a huge difference.  Because, when you stumble home at midnight reeking of dry martinis, the only acceptable excuse is “Sorry, honey, I was having drinks with my editor.”

What's the best piece of craft advice you've been given?

“Treat your first draft like you’re going to a donkey show – just show up, don’t look too closely, and then get the hell out of there afterward.  You just want to be able to say you did it.”

What's your favourite part of the writing process?

Daydreaming at church during the priest’s sermon about the perfect way to kill a certain character and smiling when I discover the solution.

What aspects of marketing your book do you enjoy?

The Playboy-style photo shoots.  I was meant to be naked on a bear skin rug.

What are you reading now?

The Kama Sutra.  But I swear, I’m not just looking at the pictures.

Who's your favourite living writer?

I have to say Steve Hamilton because when I met him, I accidentally dropped my car keys into his big head of frizzy hair.  I don’t want anything to happen to him, because I drive an Audi.  It’s a nice car.

From an artistic rather than financial perspective, what book do you wish you had written?


Do you have any other projects on the go?

The next Mary Cooper book, MURDER WITH SARCASTIC INTENT, will be out this fall.  A standalone novel, DEAD WOOD, will be out this summer. 

What are your views on eBook pricing?

That Dani Amore’s novel is a walloping fuck of a bargain.


Death By Sarcasm by Dani Amore
£2.13/$2.99
Amazon UK, Amazon US, Nook

7 comments:

  1. Great fun, really enjoyed that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific interview. I'm going to check out the book now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smart ass that Dani is. Can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book is fabulous, and this is great news: "The next Mary Cooper book, MURDER WITH SARCASTIC INTENT, will be out this fall." HUZZAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words, everyone! And thanks, Allan, for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soon's my Kindle gets through charging (little green light thingy comes on) I'm in. Looking forward to a walloping fuck. (geeze I just shivered all over. was it the walloping or the fuck I wonder)

    ReplyDelete